Sunday, February 18, 2007

Book Recommendation

I am reading a book that was recommended to me by someone on the parent's board that I use. It is called Protecting the Gift, Keeping Children and Teenagers Safe, and was written by Gavin De Becker. He is a leading expert on predicting violent behavior. He advises the CIA and the Supreme Court, and is a three time presidential appointee. He is also a senior fellow at UCLA's School of Public Policy and Social Research.

A few of the things the book discusses:

  • How do I know a babysitter is someone that won't harm my child?
  • What should I ask child care professionals when I interview them?
  • What is the best way to prepare my child for walking to school alone?
  • How can my child be safer at school?
  • What should I do if my child is lost in public?
  • How can I teach my child about risk without causing too much fear?
  • Other topics involving teenagers and keeping them safe from violence

A lot of the information is common sense, but I think it is an important read. I know I personally make a lot of the mistakes. I am about halfway through it, but am getting a lot of good tips from it. If someone wants to borrow mine when we are done with it, I would be happy to lend it out. But, it is only $13.00 and I recommend that you get a copy.

No comments: