Monday, October 27, 2008

It doesn't pay to be nice

Why does everything fun have to end up with screaming? I know I have asked this before.

Today Henry and I had a busy day. I had to drag him out at the crack of dawn for my OB appointment (not really, but early for him. He is a slow and crabby riser just like his mama). He did OK, fairly grouchy but nothing humiliating happened.

As soon as we got home, it was time for his nap. He only slept for about ninety minutes, ate lunch and then we did laundry and cleaned for most of the afternoon. I try to make most of these things fun and give him a pretty long leash in terms of mischief and antics. I know Aunt Heather and Grandma would never tolerate this stuff.

After we were done, we had to get the rest of the ingredients for dinner (soup, his favorite) so we didn't have time for the park. As an alternative, I asked him if he wanted to ride his bike to the store. Of course he was all gung ho, we got suited up in our cold weather gear and headed out the door. I should have taken it as a bad omen when he refused to get on his bike and refused to get into the elevator because someone else was in there. We finally reached the lobby and he still wouldn't ride the damn bike. He proceeded to stand in our lobby like a statue, screaming for me to pick him up. Now that I am 33 weeks, carrying him is really not that fun. I already had to do it to the OB's office and my back was killing me. There was no way I was giving in on the issue.

I offered the stroller as another alternative or to let him walk. He wasn't budging. I finally got him outside but he still refused to get on the bike. It is very embarrassing to be in a pissing match with a two year old in the middle of a busy sidewalk. I finally just dragged him back upstairs (with the bike of course), swapped the bike for the stroller and we were on our way. Of course he screamed that I brought him a snack but no water. All for a 5 minute trip to the store. I swear I wish I was a two year old mind reader, I could save us all a lot of trouble!

No comments: