Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Someone please send some wine!

Egads, I think Molly has colic.

Henry did and it was a horrific experience. We learned many things from that and thought we had the tools to avoid it this time. Making sure she sleeps at least every two hours, very loud white noise, swaddling her, using the techniques from Happiest Baby on the Block...

The past few days she has been winding up around 5:30pm. This would be bearable if Adam had a 9-5 job and was home to help with Henry. Most normal days he is not home until at least 6:30 or 7pm. It is a busy time of year for him now and he has evening events three nights this week. Which take him out of the rotation entirely.

Last night she screamed off and on from 5:30 until 9:30pm. Which makes it very difficult to do normal things like feed Henry dinner, give him a bath, put him to bed or even just give him some attention...Who can sleep when your sister is screaming like she needs an exorcism? Around 9pm I finally remembered the hair dryer trick which got her to stop. The general problem with colic is that once you stop doing whatever it was that got them to stop crying they start again. You can't put them in a bouncy seat, swing, turn off the hair dryer without them screaming again.

I am a fairly patient person, but after 13+ hours with two kids and not having a full nights sleep in eight weeks, four hours of crying gets to you a bit. Our house looks like a tornado hit. I try to take Henry out in the morning somewhere and Molly sleeps on the go. I come home, feed him lunch and put him down for a nap. As soon as he is down, she is awake again for almost two hours. I play with her a bit, eat lunch with her on my lap (she will not be ignored) and then get her back down to sleep. I hop in the shower and Henry is awake as soon as I get out. The past two days I have taken him out of his crib while I am still dripping wet.

We have about 15 minutes before she wakes again. Add in some nursing sessions and it is lather, rinse, repeat ALL day long. Until the screaming starts of course...

It is 10:30pm and I am off to put the lunch and dinner dishes in the dishwasher and clean this disaster that we call home. Adam is quickly learning that the way to ensure that I am almost homicidal is to say he is going to be late!

Send some booze please.

No comments: