Thursday, June 29, 2006

Random Musings on Pregnancy...

  1. More men than women ask to touch your stomach. Actually most people don't ask. (And no, it doesn't bother me. I think their curiosity and interest are touching)
  2. People are shockingly nice to pregnant people. A teenager apologized to me the other day after he spit on the sidewalk.
  3. I get offered a seat on the subway 99.9% of the time. The other .01% of the time the people just haven't noticed yet. Who says New Yorkers aren't nice?
  4. I forget that I am pregnant about 25% of the time. I am always surprised when people notice my stomach right away. I find myself purusing wine lists and bar menus looking for a drink and then realizing that I can't have one. (And yes, I am well aware that most doctors say that a moderate level of drinking is OK. Since I am a Virgo, I am a little Puritanical about certain things and choose to abstain. For the record, my doctor is firmly in the anti-drinking camp.)
  5. I am shocked by the low level of medical intervention. Doctor's appointments last 5 minutes or less (Standard: Pee in the tiny cup, write your name on it. Bring it to the poor lady whose job it is to collect them. I leave it in the bathroom if she is eating at her desk. Then, get weighed by the nice nurse who subtracts two pounds for clothing. She takes your blood pressure and I find myself holding my breath so it will be lower. Weird, I know. Sit on the crinkly paper and wait for the doctor. He comes in, listens to the heartbeat, measures your stomach, patiently answers all of your hysterical questions and then bolts as soon as he can get away from you. See the mean Russian lady to make the next appointment. Pass the hot dog stand, contemplate getting a hot dog. Realize that this is asking for food poisoning and not healthy for Baby Schnell. Take subway back to work to push paper.) Being an IVF induced pregnancy, I am used to a lot more attention! This is a little too much "winging it" for my taste. I really thought there would be more poking and prodding.
  6. I can't believe I can't bend over already. Try putting on your shoes with a basket ball under your shirt or picking something up off the floor. Almost impossible. Am I really going to need help shaving my legs (who am I kidding, I will just stop shaving.) and putting on my shoes?
  7. I don't care whether the baby is a boy or a girl. I always thought I would have a preference. I really never believed people when they said they didn't care.
  8. It still hasn't sunk in that we won't get to use both our girl name AND our boy name on the baby. Frankly, it hasn't sunk in that we aren't having a girl and a boy. In case you are wondering, we refer to the baby as "Henrilise or Annalenry" when talking to it at home. Poor child is going to have identity issues.
  9. Some people due in the same month as me have already packed their bags for the hospital. Where do these people think they are traveling? What the heck are they bringing anyway? I personally think it would be hysterical to see what Adam were to come up with if he had to pack my bag for me. Something very modest I think. He recently remarked about an outfit, "Will you try to look a little more respectable? You are carrying a child you know!" This comment scared me on many levels. Just call me Sister Mary from now on. This is the boy who forgets many items every single time he travels. Most commonly are 1) toothbrush 2) shaving cream 3) razor. And no, I never pack for him. He is a grown man and can pack his own suitcase.
  10. The only two color maternity pants they sell are khaki and black. The box of hand me downs that Heather sent contains no fewer than 10 pairs of khaki capri pants.

That is all I have to say for now, thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What were you wearing your slip again? Men change the whole way they look at you once you become pregnant and thereafter, so get used to it.Once you have the baby then you are the mother of there child and its a whole new world. Yes, you should be the one who packs your suitcase, start making a list of what you will need, you should have it ready any time after your seventh month just in case.
Mom