Tuesday, August 15, 2006

General Updates

  1. The bris was nice. The baby is very cute and Merri looks great already. I need to get Merri's grandmother's crumb cake recipe. It was the best I have ever tasted.
  2. We had a great time at the fraternity reunion. Very tiring, but glad we went.
  3. Tom and Paula are doing absolutely fantastic with their 4 kids (3 year old and 15 month old triplets.) They have everything completely under control and show it can be done with a lot of organization. The kids are adorable, good eaters, good sleepers and not whiney at all. Very impressive.
  4. We (I) picked a pediatrician. Apparently you are supposed to "interview" them, but I don't plan to. I wanted someone that was associated with the hospital near our house since it is one of the leading children's hospitals in the country. I also wanted one that I could walk to (assuming a lot of doctors affiliated with the hospital have offices nearby.) I asked around for some recommendations and found one associated with the hospital from a friend of mine at work whose sister is a nurse there. The pediatrician is on 86th Street, which I am not thrilled about (I would like to avoid the subway with the baby initially.) Anyway, she is young, went to Harvard Medical School, has 2 other doctors in her practice, takes our insurance, has openings for newborns and has late office hours and is also open on Saturdays. So, right now she seems like a good candidate. If I don't like her, I will just switch. The only downside is she doesn't have priviledges at the hospital where I am delivering, so an in house pediatrician will have to examine the baby after it is born. No big deal.
  5. I got a quote on the floor to ceiling cabinet that we wanted to do in the nursery. Too much money, so now I am on to figuring out "Plan B." Which really annoys me since I think regular baby furniture will be a monumental waste of space and not provide the storage we need. So, I guess I need to start shopping for at least a dresser and an armoir. (The only closet in the room is where I keep my clothes.) Adam has way too many clothes to share his closet in our bedroom.
  6. Adam has two business trips scheduled when I am 36 weeks, which is freaking me out a little. I know it is highly unlikely that I will go into labor, but I think that is cutting it a little bit close. I am not concerned about being home alone, but I am worried that he wouldn't get home in time if I went into labor in the middle of the night. He is going to Chicago and Atlanta, which both have a lot of flights, it is just the middle of the night thing. I have to think of who I would call to go to the hospital with me in that situation. My mom won't be up yet, and Heather is too far. I would prefer the person has had a baby already (and they need to be female. Sorry Kevin!) so that the experience doesn't scar them for life! That rules out Kerri and Janice. They also have to be a calm person that wouldn't be grossed out or freak out. I think the best bet is Julie (my sister in law), since she is a nurse and has 3 kids. But, it may be too far for her to drive and she would have to get Babs to come watch the girls. But, she is the best candidate. Either her or my friend Liz I think (who lives in the city.) Anyway, that is just on my mind.
  7. I still feel fine and can get around fine. I can still go to my Monday night kitchen gig as long as I have a stool. It is funny however that people there act like I might go into labor at any minute. It will be a long eight weeks if I stopped all of my activities now.
  8. Funny story. I was worried about waking Chuck and Natalie's baby up with my frequent bathroom visits when we slept at their house. I needn't have worried. They have a light switch for his bedroom in the hallway for some reason which Adam inadvertently flicked on when he got up to go to the bathroom (He was looking for the hall light.) Anyway, the baby had his light on almost the whole night and woke up at 5am! His parents couldn't understand why he seemed so wide awake so early (he normally gets up at 7am.) but quickly discovered the reason when they went into his room. Luckily Adam fessed up otherwise I would have been blamed!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't get too worked up about Adam not getting home in a timely manner should the need arise - you should have some "warning" and he will be able to hop a flight in enough time - if not I think Julie is a very good choice.
Also - check for "Murphy Bed" centers - they might do a wall build in - maybe not as much $$ - we have one here.
CJ

Anonymous said...

Even though I don't have birthing experience, I'm good at: checking the status of flights,carrying bags / hailing cabs, packing snacks, and being quite humorous. If you need me, I'm up for night duty :)

kjc
xoxo

Vanessa said...

Thanks Ker! I just didn't "volunteer" you because I didn't want to scare you off from delivering your own baby! Julie has already delivered an 11lb 3 oz monster named Reece so there is no scaring her!

You are an excellent snack packer :)