Thursday, August 24, 2006

Help! I'm being suffocated!

As you can tell by the pictures, I am carrying this baby pretty high. The baby seems to have had a growth spurt over the past week, because I am starting to get bigger around the sides and in front. The one unfortunate side effect is that the baby has one of it's body parts shoved into my lungs (or diaphragm, I don't know I'm not a doctor!) I was sitting on the subway this morning, and it was pushing the baby up even higher. By the time I got to the office, I felt like I could barely breathe. (And of course I didn't want to stand up and give up my seat!) An exaggeration of course, but a mite bit uncomfortable. After two flights of stairs, I really couldn't breathe. Now, I consider myself a pretty calm person, but this had me feeling a little panicked. Intellectually, I knew what was happening, but not being able to breathe is a little scary. So of course, panicking makes things worse and made breathing harder.

I must have looked a little pale and nervous, because my friend who sits next to me called his wife, who happens to be and nurse and has three kids. (I try to spread out my healthcare phone calls Heather). She said this had never happened to her, but said maybe I should have a glass of juice which sometimes causes the baby to move. She also suggested a walk which might get the baby to drop a little or shift a bit. This gave me enough to focus on to start calming down, and about an hour later I felt a little better.

Anyway, that is the havoc that Baby Schnell is wreaking today. I swear this baby hates me! Just kidding everyone, don't get all freaked out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you don't want to hear this but just try and relax and enjoy this wonderful experience. You learn the little tips along the way, some you will learn from others and some you will just work out for yourself. Just remember the baby will move if you move or eat , drink or as Judy told me last night her friend would put a package of frozen peas on her belly to get the baby to move. The baby is now looking for space and will take it, even if you are not happy about it. The baby is growing rapidly now and you will start learning new tricks very quickly, but most important you have to stay relaxed.
Love Mom