Friday, November 17, 2006

Couldn't he at least pretend?

We have been warned repeatedly about how difficult it is to get a breastfed baby to take a bottle. When Madeleine was a baby, this became an issue because Heather was going back to work part-time. She would cry and struggle, and wouldn't take one if Heather was even in the house. We were told to try when Henry was about a month, so that he would get used to it early.

On Wednesday night, I pumped to make a bottle for Adam to feed him. I started with three ounces, knowing that if he wouldn't take the bottle we wouldn't have to throw it out, we could give it to him with a syringe (which is how he takes his medicine.)

I was thinking about leaving the room so that he couldn't see me and that Adam might have better luck. I didn't even get a chance to get off the couch before Henry was happily eating away from the bottle. It wasn't even one of the special bottles for breastfed babies, it was the one that came with the pump! He didn't bat an eye, and to add insult to injury, he drank that and wanted more!

I would have expected him to at least put up a little fight, in honor of my many hours of service ;) I told Adam if he wants to feed him once per day he can take over the 3am shift.

P.S. (Before anyone gets any crazy ideas, I am not going to pump bottles for people to feed him unless I am not going to be home. The pumping is not that fun where I want to turn myself into a vending machine.)

No comments: