Monday, March 19, 2007

My $84 Bowl of Soup

My friend Janice and her baby Charlotte meet me and Henry out somewhere about once per week. Today we met at the Time Warner Center which is NYC's version of a mall. It is very fancy and has lots of swanky stores and restaurants.

We hit the cafe at Whole Foods for a quick bite first. We had just sat down with our food and Henry started his campaign to get out of the stroller. I was reluctant because I was eating soup, but I gave in and picked him up. He squirms like crazy and it quickly became too difficult to keep him away from my water, my soup and and eat at the same time. I turned to put him back in his carriage and I heard Janice gasp.

I looked down and realized that Henry grabbed my bowl of soup on the way past and pulled it into my lap! After my initial horror passed I quickly checked him out to ensure that he was not burned. Don't worry, he is too quick to get hurt and only had a few drops on him. Now me on the other hand, that's a different story. The soup was Red Lentil Curry with Coconut Milk. I was covered in it from my waist to my shoes. It looked like I had vomited all over myself and the floor. I only had one little napkin so I had to swab myself down with a cloth diaper. Fiesty Henry was not taking being put back in the stroller lightly and was screaming his head off.

After cleaning up the wreckage, I attempted to eat what was left of my lunch when Henry decided he was now hungry. I had the distinct pleasure to get to nurse him right in the middle of the crowded cafeteria. For those of you who might be uncomfortable with nursing in public, believe me, it is usually the last thing the mother wants to be doing!

After this, I brought him to the bathroom to change his clothes. He hollered through this so when I was done I strapped him in the Baby Bjorn which usually calms him down. Since I didn't want to go home yet, I went to the cheapest store in this "mall" to buy pants to wear. J Crew is not usually known for their bargains, so I am now the proud owner of brown linen pants for the bargain price of $79.50. Very appropriate for 40 degree weather, don't you think?

I won't even go into the experience of trying on the pants while Henry proceeded to act like I was murdering him in the dressing room.

Ahh, the joys of motherhood.

P.S. After the little dressing room episode he proceeded to pass out for the next hour.

No comments: