Sunday, September 16, 2007

Adventures in Night Weaning

I am going to stop nursing Henry when he hits one year old and transition him to milk. Since he still wakes at night to eat I realized that we need to get much more serious about stopping this or else I am going to be trudging to the kitchen for glasses of milk.

Here is a recount of our (my) progress the other night:

  • Henry went to bed at 8:15pm
  • Woke at 12:30am. I tried to get him back to sleep but he wouldn't cooperate (standing in his crib, throwing his pacifier, crying, crawling around like a monkey) so I nursed him hoping to then eliminate the later feeding.
  • Put him back in his crib and he woke at 4:15am. Ignored him for about 20 minutes while he was off and on talking.
  • He started again at 4:40am. Picked him up, calmed him, put him back down. He would not lay down and was standing and spitting his pacifier over the crib rail at me. What a comedian. Try for about 10 more minutes and he won't go back to sleep.
  • Bring him to bed with me thinking he will maybe go to sleep there. Nope. Sitting up banging me on the chest indicating that he wanted to eat. Very subtle. Standing over Adam, hitting him with his pacifier saying"Hi". Trying to climb the headboard.
  • I try to hold him in the nursing position like they say to do but not feed him. No go. He would get sleepy but not shut his eyes.
  • Give him some of my water from the bedside glass. He was blowing bubbles in it like a motorboat. My pajamas are now wet from his spitting water at me and giggling.
  • Finally around 5:20am Adam is begging me to just get it over with and feed him. I cave and we were all back to sleep in about 5 minutes.

No wonder people nurse kids until they are 2.

No comments: