Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Tick tock

I am now under the two week mark before the baby is due. Although I am very excited to meet the baby, things are certainly different the second time around. I feel like I have a ticking time bomb on me that I don't know when it is going to go off.

The arrangements for Henry's care are spotty at best. My mom is due to arrive on 12/12, two days before my due date. I have a good chance of lasting until she gets here because I was late with Henry, but you really never know. Our original fall back plan was to have Adam's Dad come in. He just started a new job on Monday, so his availability is now severely curtailed.

We have various friends, neighbors and relatives that have offered or been "recruited" to help. Although I know everyone is very willing to do what they can, I am cognizant of the fact that they all have lives, children, jobs and schedules that may cause conflict. Especially since we don't know when we will need them, for how long and how much notice we can give them. If my water breaks and there appears to be a problem, we will need to go straight to the hospital. Although this is unlikely, it is certainly in the realm of possibility.

I also worry about having to leave in the middle of the night. Henry has never been away from me for more than a few hours and certainly never slept in the house without me. If he wakes and neither of us are there, he is going to have a heart attack. I wish there was some way we could prepare him better, but I don't know how to do so without scaring him.

Worst case scenario is that we could always bring him with us to the hospital until someone is available but that certainly is not ideal. Adam and I were laughing about me trying to have the baby with Henry standing next to me saying "Ma...Ma...Get up...Draw Dora's Backpack...Chase Henry..."

I'm sure everything will wind up working out as well as it can, but of course I still worry.

No comments: