Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Tear Duct Surgery

Tomorrow is Henry's surgery to clear his blocked tear ducts. They diagnosed him at birth, but they wait until after the child turns one to do anything because 90% of the cases clear up by then. We went to the pediatric ophtamologist in September, but for various reasons it has been put off until now.

The big worry is that he has to be put under anesthesia for a short period. Although the risks are slight in a healthy child, of course I worry about this. He also can't eat more less than eight hours before surgery or have apple juice more than four hours before. Since his surgery is scheduled for noon this is a complete disaster. Someone is not going to be happy tomorrow when they wake up and there are no scrambled eggs. I honestly don't know how I am going to handle this, he is going to be very upset.

Since I am a Virgo, of course I have tried to come up with an action plan. I fed him all of his favorite foods today to make sure he would eat. I have been stuffing his little belly all day long. He had eggs, milk, and a banana for breakfast. He had some yogurt and a clementine as a snack. Annie's Mac and Cheese with peas for lunch, graham crackers, grapes, milk, cottage cheese and cantelope over the course of the afternoon. For dinner he had pasta and meatballs and I gave him an eight ounce bottle of milk before bed. I am going to wake him up at 4am to give him another bottle and then apple juice at 8am. Other than that I don't know what to do.

I will probably bring him to the park in the morning to distract him and then he has to be at the hospital at 10am. I also bought him a new toy that looks like a laptop to use while we are waiting. I have a feeling that motherhood guilt will wind of being very lucrative to Henry over the course of his life.

Wish us luck, I am a nervous wreck. If you are religious feel free to call in a favor from The Big Guy.

No comments: